nuffnang ads

Wednesday 15 February 2017

Nasi Dagang Terengganu

When the first time I came to Malaysia, my housemate introduce me to Nasi dagang for breakfast. I found it weird food almost cant eat it. It was feel like eating confused rice. The mix of three different kind of rice give me sensation like I ate half uncooked rice mixed with cooked rice.





However after one week having unpleasant experience in nasi dagang, I start missed it. Somehow the confused mixed-up feeling in eating the rice quite enjoyable.


Later I understand why nasi dagang giving those kind of sensation because it made from three different kind of rice: normal jasmine rice, red rice and glutinous rice which having different cooking time and end result.

In Terengganu or Kelantan, we can found Nasi Dagang everywhere from roadstall to expensive restaurant. But in Kuala Lumpur, we have to go to restaurant which served "Hidangan Pantai Timur" or East Coast Meal.

Pain in the butt and expensive :(

Here is the copycat of Nasi Dagang which far away from the original haha... 

Nasi Dagang:
1/2 cup Jasmine Rice
1/4 cup Red Rice
1/4 cup glutinous Rice
wash, rinse and soak the rice mixture for about 20 min

2 cup water
2 shallot + bit of ginger, finely sliced
1/2 tsp fenugreek seed
1/4 cup light coconut milk
pinch of salt

Put all the ingredients in the rice cooker, and cook till done.
Fluff the rice a bit with fork/spoon, and leave them in "warm" mode for at least 10 min


Normally nasi dagang would served with gulai ikan (malay style fish curry), acar (cucumber-carrot-pineapple pickle) papadum/kerupuk ikan, boiled egg and other side dish.

I don't know how was too lazy to make gulai ikan
end up with defrost some of beef curry, made minutes pickled cucumber and microwaved papadum.

It is not authentic at all,
but fulfill my crave without leaving the house.



No comments: